Choosing between the best upright vacuum cleaners is a vital tool for a clean home. They have a wider cleaning path and a more powerful suction than canister, stick, or robotic vacuums. For thorough, deep cleaning in the house, upright vacuums are the ideal choice.
Picking an upright cleaner to vacuum floors may seem like something basic. There are many factors to consider before choosing the ideal upright vacuum cleaner. Apart from the suction power, the upright vacuum should be easy to maneuver, light enough to carry, and have an array of accessories.
Quick Overview of the Top Upright Vacuum Cleaners
There are other factors to consider. For example, do you need a HEPA pet filter? Do you have stairs in your home to clean? And are there various types of flooring—carpet, tiled, wooden—in your home? Then there is your budget to think about.
To help you make an informed choice, we’ve examined the top eight upright vacuum cleaners currently on the market. For each vacuum, you can find out the pro and cons so that you can pick the best cleaner for your needs.
The Best Features Upright Vacuum Cleaners
Let’s look in more detail at the best vacuum cleaners you can buy online.
1. Dyson Ball Animal 2 Vacuum Cleaner
The Dyson Ball Animal 2 is one of the most powerful upright vacuum cleaners on the market. The Dyson vacuum cleaner sucks up a lot of dander and pet hair without clogging. The powerful cleaning brush head automatically adjusts to the floor surface to create a tight seal. The outstanding high-performance cleaning head works just as well on bare floors as deep pile carpets.
The top-quality vacuum comes with six attachments to quickly remove dust and dirt from the hardest-to-reach places. The handy stair tool saves carrying the heavy vacuum upstairs, and the multi-angle brush is perfect for reaching high areas.
- Exceptional performance
- A wide array of versatile attachments
- Easy to use and maneuver
- Ideal for all floor types
- Anti-allergy HEPA filter
- High cost
- It has a plasticky feel to it
- Heavy when cleaning stairs
2. Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV356E S2 Upright Vacuum
The Shark Navigator Lift-Away is a powerful bagless vacuum with a large-capacity dust bin. An advantage of this Shark vacuum is that it’s lightweight. It has a powerful motor for picking up the smallest dust particles. The Shark Navigator makes light work of vacuuming thanks to its swivel head, range of accessories, and long electrical cord.
Many consumers highly rate the Shark Navigator Lift-Away for its powerful suction and reasonable cost. Accessories include an upholstery tool, dusting brush, crevice tool, lights on the nozzle, and an 8.4-foot hose. The HEPA filter means that household air is cleaner and allergen-free after vacuuming.
- Reasonable cost
- Completely sealed HEPA system
- Swivel steering
- Highly rated
- Tends to clog
- A narrow brush head means more passes to vacuum floors
- Hard to get under furniture
3. Hoover WindTunnel 3 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Hoover is a high-quality brand that is synonymous with the best vacuum upright cleaners. The Hoover WindTunnel is a bagless upright with efficient airflow and suction, a large capacity dirt cup, and a long 30-foot power cord. The versatility of the Hoover WindTunnel means it is just as good at cleaning hardwood floors as deep pile carpeting.
There are several advantages of this Hoover model. First, it has five height settings to make housework easier. There are only a few attachments, making the vacuum straightforward to use. Additionally, the powerful suction means you’ll remove the smallest bits of dirt from floors.
- HEPA filter and sealed bag system, catching 99.9 percent of allergens
- Variable height settings
- Easily removes stubborn pet hair
- Long power cord
- Easy-to-empty dirt cup
- Extra-wide nozzle
- Fairly heavy
- Not as many attachments as other models
4. Eureka NEU182A Bagless Upright Cleaner
The Eureka upright vacuum cleaner is the cheapest upright on this list. But it is still a quality vacuum cleaner with extra large dust cup, adjustable height, and lightweight design for a low price. It also has a hose and nozzle attachment to clean high places.
The Eureka upright vacuum’s selling point is its power. It does an excellent job of sucking up pet dander, dirt, and debris from hardwood, vinyl, or carpeted floors. But, this vacuum’s advantage is also a disadvantage because it may be too powerful for some rugs.
- Affordable, lightweight, powerful upright vacuum cleaner
- Large capacity canister
- Telescopic handle
- Washable filter — however, no HEPA allergen filter
- Very noisy
- Only three cleaning attachments
- It has a cheap feel to it
5. BISSELL Cleanview Swivel Pet Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Bissell is a well-known brand when it comes to quality household cleaning tools. The Cleanview upright vacuum cleaner has a wide cleaning path and swivel steering to make housework easy. It has an effective brush roll cleaner to remove embedded hair and prevent scattering when vacuuming hardwood floors.
Compared to other upright vacuum cleaners, the Bissell Cleanview stands up well. The upright retails at a reasonable cost. There is no compromise regarding suction power, ease of use, and accessories. There are TurboBrush and dusting brush attachments to clean all types of surfaces.
- Adjustable height settings
- Superb suction power
- Bagless canister with multi-level filtration
- A long six-foot hose attachment
- It tends to clog easily
- It is relatively heavy and bulky at 18 pounds
- Power and feature buttons are not easy to use
- Hard to vacuum under furniture
6. Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Soniclean is a lightweight, powerful, and high-quality bagged upright vacuum cleaner. The Soniclean vacuum features a unique sonic bar to help quickly dislodge embedded dirt in carpets, the patented EZ-push system means it’s easy to vacuum thick carpets or hard floors.
There are several advantages of choosing the Soniclean upright vacuum cleaner. First, it uses the latest technology to clean all kinds of surfaces effectively. It is remarkably quiet considering the cleaner’s powerful suction. Some homeowners prefer bagged upright vacuums, and the Soniclean is the best in this category. The 35-foot-long cord means you don’t have to change outlets often.
- Hospital-grade H13 HEPA filter
- Quiet mode
- Bagged upright vacuum cleaner
- Ultra-soft brush roll
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Long warranty
- No height adjustment
- Vacuum cleaner bags are expensive
7. Oreck Magnesium RS Swivel-Steering Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The Oreck Magnesium cleaner is a top-end, high-quality upright vacuum. The powerful motor is almost self-propelling, making vacuuming an easy chore. It is a lightweight 8-pound vacuum is easy to carry. Other features of this superb model are multi-surface cleaning, a five-layer HEPA filter, auto shutoff, and automatic height adjustment.
An advantage of the Oreck upright vacuum cleaner is its useability. The cleaner can lie virtually flat, making it easy to clean under furniture, beds, and tables. It has a bagged design and HEPA filters do a great job of preventing dust particles from getting released back into the air. Changing the bag is super-easy, and there is no risk of dust spilling out.
- It easily glides across any type of flooring, including deep pile carpets
- HEPA inner bag that traps 99.97 percent of dust particles
- One of the most powerful and lightest upright vacuums
- No-spill dust bag
- Automatic height adjustment
- High price
- No possibility of using attachments
8. Kenmore DU2012 AllergenSeal Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The Kenmore upright vacuum cleaner is a quality, cost-effective, lightweight bagless vacuum with a powerful motor. This vacuum’s powerful cleaning comes from its 2-motor system that guarantees the best airflow and cleaning efficiency for any surface. The 10-foot hose and 3-in-1 combination tool mean you can clean the most hard-to-reach places in your home.
The all-purpose upright vacuum by Kenmore is designed for multi-surface cleaning at home. Its wide sweeper makes cleaning more manageable, and the lightweight, swivel design means it’s easy to maneuver.
- Two-motor system ensures constant powerful suction
- The 3-in-1 attachment saves space
- Low-cost without compromising on power
- Good-quality HEPA filter and sealed unit keep up to 99.7% of dander out of the air
- Long 10-foot hose
- Some users complain that it can get noisy
- Not great for vacuuming tiled or hardwood floors
What to Consider Before Buying an Upright Vacuum Cleaner
There are several factors to consider to narrow down your options to find the ideal upright vacuum. Here are a few things to think about:
- Ease of use—Upright vacuums can get heavy to handle after a while. The cleaning head should rotate and swivel well to help you vacuum hard-to-reach places. Some of the best upright vacuums have motorized cleaning heads to make cleaning work easier.
- Power—One of the most critical considerations is suction power. If you need to clean deep-pile carpets, you will need an excellent motorized brush roll for the best cleaning.
- Air filtration—Upright vacuum cleaners with HEPA filters remove 99.97 percent of microscopic air particles. If there is someone in your home that has allergies or asthma, then a vacuum with a good air filter is a must.
- Bag or bagless—There are advantages and disadvantages to bagged and bagless models. Emptying dust and dirt from bagged models is easier, then with bagless ones. But you need to buy dust bags for vacuums that use bags.
- Noise—It’s worthwhile paying attention to the cleaner’s noise levels. Typical upright vacuums have a noise level between 70 and 80 dB. If you can’t stand loud noise, choose a vacuum around 70 dB.
- Accessories—Make sure that the upright vacuum you choose has a good range of accessories. You will need a hose, tools, and attachments to get into every nook and cranny.
FAQs About Upright Vacuum Cleaners
Do I need a HEPA filter?
An upright vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter is excellent if someone in the family has allergies or asthma. A sealed system vacuum with a HEPA filter prevents dust particles, dust mite allergens, and dander from escaping into the air.
Which is best, a canister or upright vacuum cleaner?
Canister vacuum cleaners can’t match uprights when it comes to suction power and deep cleaning. Upright vacuum cleaners are heavier, more difficult to use, and less versatile to maneuver.
How often should I change the bag?
Changing the vacuum cleaner bag or dirt bin depends on several factors. This can include the type of floors, pets, how often you clean the house, and the number of people living there. When vacuuming homes with carpets and pets require emptying the bag or canister more frequently.
The Best Upright Vacuum Cleaners —Conclusion
Choosing the perfect upright vacuum cleaner depends on your cleaning needs, budget, and health. If you have pets or allergies, then an upright vacuum with HEPA filtration is a must. It is also good to remember if you have tiled, hardwood, or carpeted flooring to purchase a vacuum cleaner with variable height adjustment.
Considering value for money, maneuverability, suction power, allergy filters, and weight, we recommend the Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV356E S2 Upright Vacuum. The top-quality Shark upright vacuum sells for a reasonable price, has an excellent sealed unit with HEPA filters, has a powerful motor, and is relatively lightweight.